"This Post contains affiliate links; this means we earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page"
You’ve traveled the world – Asia, Africa, the Americas, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia – You’ve visited almost every country in the world. What next? Why not learn how to start a travel blog and share your experience with the community?
It’s a fun, adventurous, and lasting memory that will leave you and your audience excited for a long time. You can not imagine enough the benefits of starting a travel blog until you build one yourself.
In this post, I’m going to show you a step-by-step guide on how to get into travel blogging even if you’ve never written a blog before. You will learn all the steps required to start and make money from running a travel blogging for beginners.
Here are the 8 important steps you need to consider before starting a blog that documents your traveling adventure.
- Market Research – This is the most critical aspect, you need to research your niche for demand vs market value. Is your traveling niche profitable? Are people interested in your journey?
- A Domain name – You need to buy and register a domain name that fits your blog topic. This is important and you can’t skip it.
- Web Hosting – Without web hosting, there is no website or blog on the internet. So you need this one too to get your blog online.
- Travel Blog Theme – WordPress themes are not created equal, you need a theme that fits the purpose and showcases your experience in the best possible way.
- Travel Blog Plugins – Plugins are what extend the core functionalities of a WordPress blog, you’ll find on the list some plugins that are specific to a travel blog.
- Publish Content – Content is what brings people to your blog. But the type of content you create determines what type of audience you attract. We will walk through these steps together.
- Build Your Audience – You need an audience to make money from your travel blog. I will show you how to build an audience for your travel blog. It’s not as hard as you might believe.
- Make Money With Travel Blogging – How can you make money traveling blogging? There are lots of options, I will show you five methods to turn your passion into a passive income or maybe, a full-time income.
Now let’s explore each of these steps in detail and start building your travel blog from scratch.
Travel Blogging For Beginners – Step by Setup Guide
Step 1. Market Research
The most important step that determines the success or failure of your travel blog is how well you know your target market.
There are several options to choose from when we are talking about the travel niche. From country, vacation travel, family travel, specific location, seasonal, budget, luxury, adventure, backpacking, and more…there are lots of options to pick from.
Your experience plays a big role in your selection, but you don’t have to assume you know your niche. Market research and analysis are the best ways to evaluate any market or industry for demand and market value.
You will need a tool to do this. Your gut feeling or instinct is not enough to make judgments here. Semrush keyword tool is my favorite for market research, you can sign up for a free account and start using it today.
Step 2. Register a Domain Name
Now that you’ve known your niche, it is time to register a domain name.
Your domain name may reflect your blog topic, or your name if you’re maintaining a personal blog for the long haul. You can combine keywords with part of your name and be creative with it.
There are no right or wrong ways to choose a domain name but there is some general consensus:
- Make it simple to read and say over the phone.
- It should be memorable
- Keep it short and simple
- Avoid using special characters at all cost
- Keep it under two to three words maximum
If you need inspiration, here is a post that might be helpful or you could use some help from domain name generators. You just enter your niche in the tool and it will generate hundreds of blog name ideas within minutes.
Step 3. Choose a Web Host
Here are some of the hosting features you will get.
- Free SSL certificate
- 1-year free domain name registration fee
- Unmetered bandwidth
- Unlimited websites for the second-tier hosting plan
- Free CDN
- SSD Storage
- One-click WordPress install
- Built-in cache system
- 24/7 hosting support
- 30-days money-back guarantee
You can sign up with any of the web hosting services providers below. As a beginner, you can start with the entry-level hosting plan which is cheaper and give you what you need at the moment.
Step 4. Pick a Travel WordPress Theme
A blog theme gives your blog its look and design, so picking the right and unique WordPress themes is essential to user experience. You will find hundreds of free and paid WordPress travel blog themes but if you want to stand out, you should go for a premium theme like Astra.
Astra is affordable, at $47/per year for the Pro plan, you have access to advance theme features like:
- Advance header builder
- Customized footer builder
- Advance customization to link, typography, elements, font, etc.
- Native AMP supports
- Unlimited website
- Custom layout builder
- Add-ons and plugins
- Starter Templates
- SEO Optimized and fast-loading themes
- Regular updates
- 14-day money-back guarantee
- Premium supports
- And lots more…
The Astra starter templates give you the advantage to build a powerful travel blog design in minutes without knowing how to code. You can choose from hundreds of professional starter templates and import them into your blog directly.
All the pages you need are available in the templates – depending on the template you choose, you can begin editing the content and pages to fit your blog message and audience.
There are built-in features that make Astra starter templates a good choice for travel blog templates – you can select from different travel blog templates that allow displaying images in different forms, styles, carousels, positions, sizes, etc.
So you can use it with your favorite WordPress page builder.
Step 5. Install WordPress Travel Blog Plugins
Without editing the code of your WordPress blog, you can extend and customize its functionalities. Even if you don’t know anything about writing a script, you can make your blog do whatever you want.
That’s one of the beauties of blogging on the WordPress platform.
Even though you’re running a travel blog, there are some basic plugins that most WordPress sites install or need. These plugins are essential for different needs and features:
- JetPack – Multi-purpose WordPress plugin
- SEO Plugins – Yoast, AIO SEO, or Rank Math.
- Cache – WP Rocket (#1 WordPress cache plugin)
- Security – Wordfence
- Akismet – Protect against spam comments
You’ll need to install some of these plugins and others you might need for building your travel blog effectively. Here are some WordPress plugins for travel blogs.
Step 6. Publish Your First Content
Many of your travel blog content will come from personal experiences. Places you’ve visited, people you’ve met, and a whole lot of moments of joy to share.
You need a good camera set to take pictures and beautiful moments. Your choice of camera will depend on your blog quality, travel place, and audience.
If you’re taking pictures of beautiful landscapes and architecture, you need a wide-angle lens camera. And if you’re visiting wildlife animal territory, you need a zoom lens camera.
But it’s okay if you don’t have the budget for expensive cameras, you can start with a smartphone built-in camera.
Many of the high-end smartphones today can take stunning pictures in any light condition. And in different views, angles and resolutions.
After taking your pictures, you need to log in to WordPress and write supporting content to share your experiences and more details about your adventures.
So from your WordPress admin dashboard, locate post>>add new. In the text editor, write your content and upload your images. When you finish writing, editing, and proofreading your content, hit the publish button.
That’s it! Your first WordPress travel blog post is live.
Step 7. Build Your Audience
You need an audience to build your blog traffic and monetize in the right way.
For a travel blog, social media is an incredible source of free traffic. With billions of active social media monthly users, you can promote your blog and reach the right audience without paid marketing.
Instagram and Pinterest are very good platforms for promoting travel blogs. These platforms are media-heavy compared to Facebook and Twitter.
Also, you need to add social sharing buttons to your site. It makes it easy for readers to share your content with their followers.
While you’re doing this, make part of your time to focus on SEO traffic and keyword research. You will get most of your valuable traffic from search engines.
For more information on how to drive SEO traffic, take a moment to read this post.
Step 8. Make Money With Travel Blogging
You want to make money from travel blogging, and who doesn’t want that?
You can begin monetizing your travel blog from the start or you could wait until you start getting some decent traffic. Either way, you will have to experiment with some of these ways to make money from your travel blog.
- Display Advertising – Display advertising works well in travel blog niches. You serve ads on your blog from third-party advertising agencies like Google Adsense. The downside here is that you can only earn a decent income if your blog drives decent monthly pageviews. So you will have to work on increasing traffic consistently. This is a number game.
- Affiliate Marketing – Affiliate marketing is another way to make money with a travel blog. You can help other people sell their products and services on your blog. And there are affiliate programs for almost anything including in the travel niche. You can promote flight tickets, discounts, accommodations, hotels, travel equipment, insurance, etc. When people buy from your recommendation link, you get a commission from the sale.
- Sponsored Post – When your blog starts to attract decent traffic and engagements, it is likely that brands will come for sponsored posts. Depending on your blog traffic and value, the price of a sponsored post can range from $200 to $50k. Yes, there are bloggers who earn that much for a sponsored post.
- Sponsored Trips – You could get paid to visit places and write about your experience on the blog. This is likely to happen when you have a big community of audience and write a very popular blog.
- Donation – You can have a donate button on the blog and have people leading support hands. But this is going to happen only when you have a loyal and dedicated audience community.
- Sell your Product – You can sell your traveling experience on the blog and make decent money from it. This could be in the form of an audio, ebook, video recording, or even live streaming. You charge for live streaming of places you visit and let people watch you live exploring different places. This can be fun and entertaining to your audience.
There is no limiting yourself to how far you can earn from your travel blog, as you explore other areas and grow your audience, you can try a mix of different tactics.
FAQ – How to Start Travel Blogging
What is the best platform for a travel blog?
You can share your adventure experience on the travel blog platforms, here are some of your favorites:
WordPress – blogging platform
Medium – free blogging platform
Atameo – Capture a beautiful moment and turn it into a profile.
Travel Diaries – Document your journey and share it with the world
Should I start a Travel Blog?
If you're passionate about travel and have a great experience with different places and communities of the world, starting a travel blog can be a great way to help others plan their trip, reduce costs, and have fun.
What Should go first in a travel blog
Market research is the first step in starting a travel blog, and it should never be ignored. The success of your travel blogging depends on the niche and how competent you can share interesting stories and places with your audience.
Is it too late to Start a Travel Blog?
It is never too late to start travel blogging, in fact, now is the best time to get into travel blogging. There are more resourceful materials to help you all the way. More equipment, better cameras, and more platforms to share your content and connect with other travel bloggers in your niche.
Travel blogging can be fun and rewarding if approached with the right strategy and tactics. If you follow the step-by-step guide in this article, the tips to start travel blogging, you’re one step toward creating the blog of your dream.