"This Post contains affiliate links; this means we earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page"
Do you want to start fashion blogging on WordPress but don’t know how to go about it, this guide is for you. From finding the right platform to setting up your blog, and the techy side to monetization strategies, you will get all the answers on how to become a fashion blogger in this guide.
Here’s exactly what you will learn in this post…
- The benefits of starting a fashion blog
- How to select your domain name and niche
- The best web host for your fashion blog
- Which WordPress Theme is right for you?
- Fashion Blogging Monetization Strategy
- Top Fashion blogs you should follow
- And lots more…
Are you ready? Let’s dive in…
Benefits of Starting a Fashion Blog
There are lots of benefits to writing a fashion blog today.
First, fashion is a global trend, no community in the world does not embrace fashion. So you’re not limited by geolocation or community. Your niche has a global appeal and audience.
You’re constantly updated with the latest in the fashion industry. This is true especially if you’re a fashionista yourself. You get updates from leading fashion blogs in the industry that help shape your appearance and style.
Assuming you already work in the fashion industry, starting a blog around your passion or hobby might be the smartest decision you ever make. You’re creating a platform where you can share your style, designers, trends, and swag with the rest of the world.
Trust me, you will enjoy the ride more than you can imagine. Blogging is a way to communicate with people you never meet in real life, share your ideas, learn new things, and improve yourself on a different level you were never taught possible.
Now is the best time to start your fashion blog. So, let’s explore the 6 steps formula for fashion blogging for beginners.
6 Steps to a Succesful Fashion Blogging Career
Step 1. Pick a Niche
It sounds obvious, that “Fashion”, is a language everyone on earth understands, but when it comes to digital marketing, that’s a broad language or niche. You can just go into fashion blogging without knowing who your audience is.
You need to carve out a subset of a small group of people in the fashion niche. This is how you can create a fashion blog that appeals to its audience. For example, what is the taste, quality preference, price point, or style of your intended audience?
What kind of fashion style gives them confidence, and boldness, and looks gorgeous? There are a few reasons you need to carve out a small set of the fashion market.
First, competing against brands will not be a smart marketing move on your part. Going up against big brands like Nike and Adidas is not going to help unless you have a deep marketing budget to go ahead-on
But if you want to start a fashion blog on a budget, you need to define your fashion niche and ask yourself a few questions.
- What is your main Style? – You need to be specific and think this through before starting your blog. Are you into casual style, exotic, artsy, or Grunge? You know yourself better and can tell what’s your best here. However, there is no limiting yourself to one style, you can combine different tastes and styles on your blog and appeal to both audiences. But the more you narrow it down, the better for everyone.
- What’s Your Selling Point? – Sure enough, there are other blogs or people in your niche who already identify with it. So what makes yours different from what we’ve seen already? What are you bringing to the table that will make people look in your direction? If you need inspiration, look out for existing fashion blogs in your niche and see what they are doing.
- Research The Market – Without user data, digital marketing is a guessing game. And you don’t want to waste your time guessing around your marketing strategies, right? This is why you need to perform market research before choosing your niche. For the most part, you need a keyword tool for this task. Keyword tools like Semrush and Rank Tracker will help you with market research and validation. Anyone is good, and they are also free.
Step 2. Register Your Domain Name and Hosting
You can start a free blog on blogger or WordPress.com, and no one says it’s not a good choice. If you’re a hobbyist blogger, it’s okay to start a free blog on blogger, Wix, Tumblr, WordPress .com, and the like.
But if making money from your fashion blog is what you want, you need a self-hosted WordPress blog. Or at least a place you own and have total control over what goes in or out of it. You need to invest in hosting and a domain name. You need to create a brand of your own.
Aside from the blogging platform, you also need to register your domain name and purchase a hosting account from a reliable web host. If you need guidance on which web host is good, cheap, affordable, and reliable to host your fashion blog, my recommendation is Namecheap or Bluehost.
Namecheap Web Hosting Features
- Free SSL Certificate
- Website Builder
- Automatic backup
- Free 1-year domain name registration
- SuperSonic CDN
- Unmetered bandwidth
- SSD storage
- Unlimited website (Except the Stellar plan)
- Free Whois data protection
- The price starts at $2.18/per month
- 30-days money-back guarantee
- Live chat, and email 24/7
Bluehost Web Hosting Features
- Free CDN (Content delivery network)
- 1-year free domain name registration
- Free SSL Certificate
- Domain privacy protection
- Unlimited websites (except the basic plan)
- The price starts at $2.95/per month
- 24/7 support channels
- WordPress Core auto-updates
Note: You can register your domain name and secure web hosting from any of these two web hosts. They’re both good and affordable.
Once your hosting account is set up, you need to log in and install WordPress software. If you’d go with any of the two web hosts above, installing WordPress is one click and Bluehost will automatically install WordPress for you.
So that’s it, you can begin with the theme design.
Step 3. Design Your Blog
Now that your WordPress blog is live, you need to give it a unique design. Make it stand out from the crowd and give the best user experience.
Fashion blogs are more images than text, so you need a theme that allows showcasing styles, swag, and looks prominently on the blog.
There are lots of themes, free and paid, Astra theme is one of the best. It’s fast, and SEO optimized, and it allows customizing every part of the theme.
You can customize things like color, links, typography, button, H tags, backgrounds, header, footer, etc. You can make the Astra theme completely yours.
The basic plan starts at $47/yr and you can get a lifetime deal for $227. Check out the full Astra theme pricing and features on this page.
Install WordPress Plugins
As part of the design process, you need to install plugins that extend and bring more functionalities to your fashion blog.
Some basic plugins are required for every WordPress blog. You might need to install these plugins as a start.
- JetPack – Jetpack offers several features, including blog security, backup, optimization, social sharing, and more.
- AIO SEO – This plugin helps improve the search visibility of your WordPress blog. It offers lots of SEO features, including schema markup, link suggestions, integration with other SEO services, and lots more.
- Yoast – Yoast is an SEO plugin that helps with optimizing your content and blog for better search engine visibility.
- Akismet – It protects your site against spam comments.
- WP Rocket – This is a premium-only plugin, at one point, you might need it to improve page speed and core web vitals.
Step 4. Create a consistent Publishing Schedule
Fashion blogging requires two important things to be successful – unique quality fashion images, and consistent publishing.
Despite being an important aspect of a fashion blog, you don’t need an expensive camera to create high-quality photos.
With your smartphone’s camera, you can take good pictures. You just need to get a good high-end smartphone and practice your photography skills regularly.
Consistent publishing is key to success in blogging, but you don’t have to sacrifice quality for consistency. Many fashion blogs publish multiple times per day. That’s okay…
If you find it difficult to post every day, consider once a week or twice. The important thing is to keep to a schedule and be consistent with it. If you follow these two fashion blogging tips and stay consistent, you’ll be successful.
Step 5. Monetize Your Fashion Blog
The end goal is to make money from your fashion blog, that’s what this section is all about. I will show you how to monetize your fashion blog in the best way possible.
Here are some ways to make money from fashion blogs:
For many fashion blogs, display advertising tops the list of how fashion bloggers make money. It works well in the fashion industry and is something you should consider.
Google Adsense always comes to mind when we talk about contextual advertising, but it is not the only one out there. There are many alternatives you can try, such as Taboola, Mediavine, AdThrive, Ezoic, etc.
Sponsored posts are something you will consider at a point in your blogging career. If you have a popular blog with a massive follower base, you can make good money.
Chiara Ferragni is a good example of a fashion blogger that makes money from sponsored posts. On average, she makes $60,000 per sponsored post. And she is also a good example of how fashion bloggers make money on Instagram. With a follower base of over 27 million, she could earn more than that.
This won’t be possible at the start of your blogging career, but not outside your reach either. With consistency and hard work you can achieve it
If you’re a designer, you can use the blog to sell your products. Create a brand and use the blog to expand your reach.
You can sign up with affiliate networks in your niche and promote other people’s products on your blog. This is a reliable monetization strategy if you have an audience that trusts your advice.
There are lots of affiliate networks to look at, and ShareAsale is a good place to start. If you do a Google search, you will discover other affiliate networks.
Step 6. Join Relevant Fashion Community
Being part of relevant communities can help in the growth of your fashion blog. It will help in sharing ideas, meeting new people, and getting inspiration on how you can grow.
There are several platforms to seek people-like minds and share ideas together. If you look up Facebook, you will discover several fashion groups that are relevant to your topic. The knowledge and benefits you gain from being part of a community are invaluable.
Top Fashion Blogs to Follow in 2022
If you need inspiration on how do I succeed in fashion blogging? these blogs will inspire you to do more. The fashion industry is expected to be worth around $1.7 trillion in 2022, which tells you how big the industry is.
Now is the time to start, and take your share of the million-dollar industry. Here are some fashion blogs you can follow to gain more knowledge and inspiration.
- Business of Fashion – A leading voice in the fashion industry and a blog that focuses on the business side of fashion. An excellent source of information on all things fashion trends, celebrity news, styles, and more.
- Who What Wear – Founded by Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power, Who What Wear covers everything from fashion to celebrity trends, and styles. The blog is one of the UK’s top fashion blogs and evolves from a fashion blog newsletter to a clothing brand.
- GQ Magazine – Founded in 1931, GQ Magazine focuses on Men’s style, culture, and looks, and inspires men to look sharper, and better. The blog features a wide range of topics on fitness, fashion, accessories, culture, and grooming.
- Fashionista – The New York-based fashion magazine blog offers news on celebrity trends, fashion, beauty, events, etc. They receive over 2.5 million monthly visitors. You will learn more about the fashion industry by reading this blog.
There are thousands of fashion blogs to draw ideas from. And if you follow the fashion blogging tips and strategies shared in this post, you will start a fashion blog that not only supports your lifestyle but may also become a full-time business.
These are the steps you need to follow to create a successful fashion blog – narrow down on niche, purchase web hosting, get a good premium theme like Astra, install WordPress plugins, and start publishing content regularly.