"This Post contains affiliate links; this means we earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page"
Are you a pet lover? Do you know you can turn your love for pets into a business? This post will show you how to start pet blogging and make money with it.
It’s not rocket science or something unheard of, anyone can do it…and many people have turned their love and passion for animals into a lucrative online business.
But first, let’s settle the claims on how big or lucrative the pet niche is at the moment and what it could be in a few years from now.
In the United States, according to the American Pet Product Association, about 85 million households own a pet, and pet ownership has increased from 56% to 68% in the last 30 years.
The pet global market size crossed $232 billion in 2020, largely due to Covid 19 lockdown. And is expected to reach a 6.1% CAGR in 2027.
So, if you’re not thinking of pet blogging today, consider what the future holds for this market a few years from now…
Why You Should Start a Pet Blog – 6 Benefits
If you’re still not convinced about why you should start a pet blog, here are some of its benefits.
- It is an ever-evergreen niche, you’ll never run out of content ideas or products.
- The industry is growing year over year
- You’ll meet new and interesting people like you who are also pet lovers.
- A pet blog is easy to monetize with contextual advertising or affiliate products.
- You can make a decent long-term income from running the blog.
- As you write about pets and your experience on the blog, you also learn about other animals in the process.
How to Start Pet Blogging in 2022
Now, let’s get into the full details of starting a pet blog and making money with it.
Step 1. Choose a Topic
This step is one of the most crucial aspects of starting a pet blog you need to think it through before going ahead.
Do you want to create a pet blog around one particular animal or a group of species?
You can choose to write about one type of animal or be a generalist. For example, you can start a pet blog only on topics around dogs, or you can talk about all domestic animals in general.
There is no right or wrong way to do this. You have to consider your experience level, and how competent you can discuss the topic with others without getting lost.
The choice is yours to decide.
But here are some of the marketing advice to consider…
- Do market research – keyword tools like Semrush keyword magic can help you analyze the market for niche validation. Research your target market, analyze the competition, and explore the business side to validate your options.
- Identify Your Passion – what you’re passionate about or have a genuine interest in might be the starting point. But the problem here is that your passion might not be easy to monetize. So you need to come up with a list and analyze each option to pick the winner.
- Market Value – You need to know the value of the pet market before you go into it. This is an important exercise to do because you don’t want to waste time, money, resources, and energy on a market that is not valuable. The bigger the market value, the better your chances.
- Identify Problems – Check if there are problems with the pet niche that people are willing to find solutions to. You need to be the solution if you want to get the best out of your efforts.
- Research Products and Services – Google your niche to see if there are advertisers running ads on relevant keywords. Check out affiliate network programs, review sites, marketplaces, etc. If there are positive signs to all these, you’ve found a good blog topic.
Step 2. Register a Domain Name
The next step after validating your niche topic is to register a domain name.
Choosing a good, relevant, and memorable domain name is important to your pet blog. It will help people identify your blog topic easily. People can tell what you blog about from reading your blog name.
To help you get ahead quickly, you can use a domain name generator to pick a good blog name. This will help you come up with lots of options to choose from.
And here are five domain name registrars with 1-year free domain name registration. They will register your domain name free of charge for the first year before you renew it.
But you need to purchase hosting to be eligible for this giveaway. So you need to check step 3 below…
Step 3. Purchase Hosting
The next step is to get a good and reliable web hosting plan. This is an important aspect of an online business.
Though you can always move to a better host, purchasing a reliable web host from the onset can make a huge difference in your business.
Here are what makes a good web hosting service:
- Security – A good web host will provide a hackerproof hosting security system that ensures your files and content are safe from cybercriminals.
- Speed – Speed is an important ranking factor today. Your web host server must be configured to provide quick server response time and optimized performance.
- Support – Real Time and different support channels are good signs of a reliable web host. Your web host should provide various means of getting your request answered.
- Hosting features – What hosting feature do you want? Check to see if your web host provides it or not.
- Transparent hosting Pricing – There shouldn’t be hidden fees or non-transparent hosting prices. Every pricing detail should be laid out on the merchant’s website.
So which web host should you choose? From experience, NameCheap is a reliable web host, affordable, and good for beginners.
If you’re going to start your pet blog this month, I recommend you host it with NameCheap. There is a reason…
Namecheap offers incredible low-budget hosting plans but high-quality hosting services that beat many of its competitors.
And that is not all, NameCheap comes with freebies that make it an even better-hosting choice for beginners. Here are some of the Namecheap hosting features:
- Namecheap is an ICANN-accredited domain name registrar with years of experience in the industry.
- The entry-level hosting plan is invoiced at $25.88 for the first 12 months. As you can see, that’s extremely affordable to ignore. And you can host up to 3 websites.
- Namecheap hosting plans include a free domain name, SSL certificate, unmetered bandwidth, free website builder, and a Supersonic CDN.
- Namecheap also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee policy. So you don’t have to worry about risking your money.
Next, you need to sign up with Namecheap to set up your pet blog hosting account. Here are the step-by-step instructions for buying your hosting account.
First thing, click this link to get a special discount on the Namecheap website. If you go through the link, you get up to a 51% discount on any annual purchases.
On the Namecheap website, pick a hosting plan that fits your website requirements. There are 3 available Shared hosting plans and EasyWP WordPress hosting.
Since you’re starting a new blog, go with the Stellar hosting plan. You can host up to 3 websites, get a free SSL certificate, unmetered bandwidth, and more hosting features.
But just in case you’re curious, here are the three Shared hosting plan features and prices at a glance:
- The stellar plan cost $2.18/month and is billed $25.88 for the first (51% discount) 12 months. The renewal price is $49/88. It allows 3 websites, 20 GB storage, a free domain name, an SSL certificate, and 30 domain-based mailboxes.
- Stellar Plus offers more freebies and hosting space. In addition to everything in the Stellar hosting, you have an unmetered SSD, unlimited domains, unlimited mailboxes, and auto backup. It cost $3.18/month. You pay $37.88 (51% discount) for the annual plan and renew at $75.88/yr.
- Stellar Business is for high-traffic websites. It offers everything in the Stellar plus and gives you access to automatic website backup and cloud storage facilities. The price is $4.98/m, $58.88 (47% discount) for an annual plan. Renew at $108.88/yr.
After selecting a hosting plan, you’ll be directed to the next page where you can enter an existing domain name or register a new one.
You can skip this step if you want since you can always connect your domain to a hosting account anytime.
After filling in the appropriate field, you’ll need to register an account with Namecheap. And connect your billing option to your account.
As you can see from this image, the entry-level plan is $25.88 for the first 12 months. This is cheaper than many web hosts in the industry, even cheaper than Bluehost and Hostinger.
Once payment is made and your receipt is issued, you will receive your hosting account details at the email address you registered with. All the details you need to log in to your Cpanel are available in the email.
Now, you can go ahead to install WordPress and create your blog.
Step 4. Choose a Theme
Once your hosting account is all set up, the next thing is to start designing your blog so it looks amazing and attractive.
There are many free themes available online, but you don’t have to be like everyone, you’re unique and different. This is why going for premium WordPress themes might be the right choice.
WordPress is blessed with thousands of themes that make setting up your WordPress blog pretty simple.
While there are hundreds of theme developers, Astra themes are my favorite. It is fast, affordable, and comes with lots of customization features that make it possible to make the theme completely yours.
WP Astra theme comes with a built-in theme customizer, different layout options, modules, add-ons plugins, and the ability to set custom links, typography, font, colors, elements, etc. You can define global settings or set customized options for each page.
How Much is Astra Pro Theme?
Astra offers two theme options – Free and the Astra Pro. And two pricing options, too – An annual subscription and a lifetime deal.
The free Astra theme does not cost a thing to use on your blog. Just visit the website and download it. You can begin designing your blog with it in minutes.
The Astra Premium gives you a lot more flexibility, design options, and advanced features and gives you total control over your blog design.
Here are the 3 pricing plans for Astra Premium themes
Astra Pro – It is the entry-level plan for the Astra theme and gives you access to hundreds of customization features. You can use it on unlimited websites. The price is $47 per year with support, a 14-day risk-free guarantee, and extensive training options.
Astra Essential Bundle – It costs $137 for the yearly plan, and gives you access to everything in the Pro plan. You have an additional 180+ premium starter templates, a WP Portfolio plugin, and extensive training support.
Astra Growth Bundle – You can get this plan for $187 per year, and everything in the Essential bundle plan plus the Convert Pro plugin, Schema pro plugin, and ultimate add-on for Beaver Builder and Elementor.
All Astra themes plans offer a 14-day money-back guarantee policy. So if you’re not satisfied with the theme performance, just ask for a refund.
I use the Astra theme on this blog, and I can vouch for it. Astra theme is fast, lightweight, SEO optimized and allows lots of customization options to make the theme exactly the way you want it.
Click here to purchase the Astra Premium theme today.
Step 5. Publish Your First Post
Now that we’ve walked this far, it is time to get your first post online.
If you’re not competent in writing, you can outsource this task to freelancers and give them instructions on what you expect. A good place to get cheap and affordable freelancers is Fiverr.
Fiverr is a marketplace to source any type of digital marketing services at meager prices. Though you can as well get low-quality services, too. So you need to be careful with who and how you get people to work for you on the platform.
However, if you like to get things done yourself, here is an article to help you write better, and improve your writing skills.
How to Make Money With a Pet Blog
Here is the most interesting part of this article, how to make money from a pet blog. That’s one of the goals of starting the blog and it is not wise that I leave you hanging here..so let’s jump in.
There are lots of ways to make money from a pet blog, but here, I will discuss 4 proven methods you can explore.
If you drive high traffic and pageview numbers per month, serving ads on your blog might be your top choice. Contextual advertising programs like Google Adsense and Media.net can be a good place to start.
Google Adsense is the most popular and high-paying display advertising network on the internet. But as with all ad programs, your earning potential is directly tied to your traffic number. The more traffic you drive to the pet blog, the more you earn.
However, Google Adsense is not the only display ad network you can try, here are some alternatives to Adsense;
- And more…
Affiliate marketing is my favorite on the list, the money you earn from affiliate marketing is not directly tied to pageview or traffic number.
You need to select and promote the right pet care affiliate product your audience will love to buy. The kind of pet product that helps solve real-life pet care problems.
But to make this happen, your audience needs to trust and buy into your recommendation. Trust and authority are significant factors in affiliate marketing. You can achieve this by publishing high-quality content regularly and helping your audience in any way you can.
Then write about product and service reviews occasionally, and join relevant pet blogging affiliate marketing networks. There are lots of pet blog affiliate programs you can be part of, take a look at the ShareAsale affiliate network program. There are merchants in the pet care industry you will find there.
Here are some pet blogging tips to maximize your earning potential in affiliate marketing.
Promote High Paying Affiliate Marketing Products.
The key to earning consistent affiliate marketing income is to promote products with a high commission rate or have recurring affiliate commissions.
So when searching for pet blogging affiliate programs, watch out for the commission structure. It will help you make the most of your affiliate marketing campaign.
Promote High-Quality Product
One golden rule of affiliate marketing is to promote products that you believe in yourself. A product that you can use and happily recommend to others because you have experience with how it works.
Your audience will thank you for recommending a product that helps them solve a problem and achieve a better result.
If you have knowledge of pet caring, you can offer your service to your audience. This does not necessarily have to be in-person, you can package your services in an ebook format, video content, podcast, webinar, or course.
Whatever format that’s better for your audience’s consumption is what you should deliver. By offering services on your blog, you can charge premium prices and build a loyal audience around your pet blog.
You can take this further by building a membership community where members pay to access the platform. If you approach this strategically, it can become a life-changing business that lives on its own.
People who are pet lovers will be willing to join the community and share experiences with other animal lovers. It is a great way to bond among people of similar interests.
Examples of a Pet Care Tips Blogs
If you need inspiration or examples of pet blogging to follow in 2022, here are some of the best pet blogs in the industry. These blogs about pets offer great advice, share resourceful materials, and constantly update your industry knowledge.
Adopt A Pet
Adopt A Pet is a non-profit organization cute pet blog that helps people with pet adoption. People who are looking for pet adoption can use the website to find a match. It is so simple to use and you will learn a lot from reading the blog content.
The blog offers pet blogging tips and content on pet health, safety, nutrition, and more. Adopt A Pet specializes in Dog and Cat adoption, it looks after other animals, too but you will find more talks about dogs and cats on the website. It is a good resourceful dog blog.
Walkin’Pet is focused on sharing advice on dog caring and mobility issues. It is run by Handicapped Pet, an organization specializing in promoting awareness and caring for handicapped dogs.
You will find lots of inspirational stories on how dogs, particularly, survive rare kinds of mobility challenges and return to normal life. Walkin’Pet is a resourceful blog to learn how to start a dog blog.
Pet Live Today
Though the blog published articles on rabbits, and other animals, too, you will find many of the publications focused on dogs and cats.
Pet Live Today offers professional advice on pet care ideas and treatments. The Ask A Vet section on the blog is run by expert pet care-certified veterinarians. If you’re looking for professional advice on issues with your pet, this blog is a good place to visit.
FAQ – How to Start Pet Blogging
How to get traffic to a pet care blog?
Here are some of the ways to get traffic to your pet blog:
Do keyword research before writing a post. Know what people are searching for. And write content that meets their expectations.
Join the community of people like mind, help others, and share interesting content if it's acceptable. Also, run paid ads to drive more traffic to your content. It will help promote your pet blog, increase awareness and build an audience.
Is pet blogging a profitable niche?
Yes, pet blogging is a profitable niche and holds even more promise in the future. Now is the better time to start your pet blog
How can I make money from a pet blog?
There are lots of ways to make money from pet blogs. We've discussed it above, but here is a quick recap:
Selling your products or services
If you’re running a pet care-related business, starting a blog around the topic can be an incredible source of income. You can start a pet blog as a side project and take some of the pet blogging ideas shared in this post to move ahead.
You don’t have to go full-time into it if you’re not yet ready or still hold a regular day job. Start by setting aside a few hours in the week, and see how you can grow it gradually.
If you have any questions related to pet blogging, let us know in the comment section.