"This Post contains affiliate links; this means we earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page"
There is no denying that Youtube is the most popular video monetization platform in the world. There are at least 2.6 billion users who actively sign in to use the platform every month.
Only Facebook has a larger social media user base than Youtube.
Considering that youtube videos can be watched without logging in, the Youtube user base number is likely to be above that figure.
But, is YouTube the best option for everyone?
The platform you host and choose to monetize your video content will make a huge difference in the growth of your business. And how fast you can build an audience, scale, and increase profit.
So, in this post, we are taking a look at some of the best Youtube alternatives and video monetization platforms you can explore.
This list is ideal if you’re unable to find your feet with youtube marketing. You’re unable to build an audience, grow your channel, and monetize your video content.
You will find lots of options you can try to get more from your video marketing business. If you’re new to video marketing, here is a simple definition of video monetization is…
What is Video Monetization?
Video monetization is when you’re getting paid, or earning revenue from your published online video content.
As a content creator, you put in a lot of hours, energy, resources, and investments into creating educational video content, and you want the highest ROI for your efforts.
The more people that watch your video the higher you could potentially earn. There are several ways or methods to monetize video content, let’s explore a few known methods.
How to Monetize Your Video Content?
There are countless ways or methods to earn from your video content, but in reality, most tactics will fall into one or more of these video monetization strategies.
A good video streaming platform will provide at least one of these methods to earn from your video views, host your video, and provide performance analytics to measure and track important metrics.
Subscription-based on-demand video (SVOD)
SVOD is a monetization method where video platforms charge users a monthly recurring or one-time fee to access video content.
As long as the account remains valid, users can continue accessing the video content library. A good example of this is Netflix.
As a consumer of video content, users can subscribe to Netflix monthly packages to keep enjoying the services. In return, Netflix pays content creators a certain amount as earlier agreed upon.
In most cases, Netflix’s business model works in two ways – licensing or paying full movie production costs.
If you have good video content Netflix wants to include in its library, Netflix pays a licensing fee. And Netflix also pays video producers the full cost of production and assumes ownership.
As a creator, if you have good video content that is worth it, you can work with streaming platforms like Netflix, Showmax, DSTV, LiveSports, etc…to start earning consistently from your work.
Advertising-based video on demand (AVOD)
This is the easiest and most common method of making money from video content as a creator. It presents a good opportunity for you to build a business around your audience community.
It is a number game, the larger your audience size, the more you can earn from advertising views and clicks.
YouTube is a good example here.
YouTube runs advertising through the video and shares a portion of the ad earnings with the channel creator. It is a win-win for all the parties involved.
Your audience enjoys watching ad-supported content they would have otherwise paid for. The advertiser gets more exposure, you earn from ad revenue sharing, and the video streaming platform takes the advertising fee.
Transactional Video on Demand (TVOD)
This is a type of video monetization method that allows users to make an upfront payment to watch an event, download it, or live stream.
TVOD offers users a convenient and cost-effective way to pay and watch a particular video event without having to subscribe to a monthly or yearly plan. It is a pay-per-view video monetization tactic.
iTunes, Google play store, Redbox, Mubi, and Lightbox TV are some good examples of TVOD. On these platforms, users can pay per view or download. It brings a lot of flexible payment structure that is more convenient and enhances users’ usage.
6 Video Monetization Platforms to Make Money in 2022
Uscreen is an all-in-one- video monetization platform that lets you earn in multiple ways. The platform helps content creators in a variety of ways to achieve, do more, and earn from their video content.
uscreen allows you to earn on your terms and provide the tools you need to succeed. You can charge a recurring monthly subscription, annual plan, free trial, upsell and down-sell, discount, gift card, etc.
The platform allows content creators to integrate with third-party services, use email marketing, live broadcast, engage with the audience in the comments section, and more.
One of the big benefits of Uscreen for marketers is having control over your subscriber’s contact details. The platform gives you a full list of your subscribers and their email details, so your audience is yours.
uscreen Top Features
- Build your own OTT app (over-the-top application) and meet your user everywhere and at any time. Users can stream your content on their favorite devices using the internet. You don’t need any coding knowledge to build your own OTT app with uscreen.
- Accept payment from multiple gateways – PayPal, Stripe, uscreen Payment, and Authorize.net.
- Go live stream with your content and let your audience enjoy a real-time experience of watching and interacting with you.
- Use the cart abandonment feature to re-engage users who did not complete their purchases.
- Uscreen will host your video content so you don’t have to worry about bandwidth or storage costs.
- Get a professional domain name and build with a simple drag-and-drop editing feature.
- Use a dozen of fully customizable website themes to make your website stand out and speak your brand language.
- Use built-in marketing tools to launch, grow and retain your audience – email automation, subscription tools, upsell and down-sell, landing pages, integration services, reduce churn, create give away, free trials, etc.
- Basic – $79/month
- Growth – $159/month
- uscreen Plus – contact sales
Note: Uscreen offers 14-day free trial access.
If you’re new and raw to the world of video content creation TikTok might be the platform to be. Anyone can create and share video content on TikTok, you don’t need to be a professional video creator or need an expensive video tool to use the platform.
TikTok is a fast-growing platform with over 1 billion active monthly users as of quarter 1 of 2022. The platform provides an easier way for anyone to create and share their video content with the world.
The length of video content on Tiktok is now 10 minutes, this is a huge boost from the previous maximum limit of 3 minutes. Now, video creators can express themselves better and in a more elaborate manner. The new limits allow instructors and coaches to use the platform more for teaching and growing an audience base.
The platform presents video creators with official earning methods from the Tiktok Creator Fund. TikTok Creator Fund is a program run by TikTok to reward its community of content creators for their hard work and creativity. A total of $231 million has been committed to the program for the next three years.
However, to qualify for the TikTok Creator Fund, you must be above 18 years of age, have at least 10,000 followers, and must have generated 100,000 views in the last 30 days. Also, the program is only available to US, UK, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain residents.
But all hope is not lost, you can earn from TikTok if you didn’t qualify for the Creator Fund program and even with fewer followers and monthly views. Here are other ways you can make money from TikTok:
- Influencer or sponsored post collaboration with brands. You can partner with brands for sponsorship deals on your TikTok video. This could be a good earning opportunity if you have a decent number of followers and a target audience.
- Course creators can use TikTok to sell their online courses through educational video content.
- Using the TikTok ads manager integration with Shopify, you can create ads directly from your Shopify shop and advertise on Tiktok to reach a wider audience.
TikTok Top Features
- Upload your video to the Tiktop app without worrying about bandwidth usage.
- Edit and customize your video with songs, background images, crop, flip, rotate, and more.
- Use TikTok filters and effects to further create amazing and fun videos that are simply entertaining. There are several animations, stickers, visual elements, and more to make your video amazing.
- Share your video from the app to other social media platforms with one click.
- Build engagements on your TikTok video with likes and comments.
- TikTok duet features allow users to lip-sync or dance with anyone on the platform by sharing screens together and collaborating in a fun way.
- You can use the TikTok hashtag to invite other users to precipitate in a challenge or video with you. It is a fun way to invite others to collaborate on challenges.
- Live stream your video on TikTok so other users can watch as you demonstrate your expertise and share your knowledge in real time.
- You can use the TikTok geolocation feature to find other users who are live streaming from your proximity.
- TikTokers can track and analyze in real-time the performance of their video broadcast and audience engagements.
Since it was bought by Amazon in 2014, Twitch has moved from being a gamer and streaming website to expanding to a tool that’s loved and used by other artists and video creators.
On average, 2.78 million people are on Twitch at any moment. Most videos on Twitch are live streams of gamers competing with each other. Is free to join Twitch and the platform offers an affiliate and a partner program that allows creators and games to earn money.
Qualified Twitch partners can earn a share of the ad revenue generated on the platform. Though the company does not disclose the amount of percentage of share revenue, it is still a viable means of earning from your content.
However, from available third-party info, you can from $3.50 for every 1,000 ad impressions. So if you have large followers and generate thousands of ad impressions, Twitch can be a very good side income for content creators and gamers.
You can read more on how to make money on Twitch in this post on this Shopify website.
There are lots of channels on Twitch from gaming, cryptocurrency, blockchain, music, politics, Pools, Hot hubs, Beaches, etc…
Twitch Top Features
- Qualified Twitch partners can get a cut of advertising revenue and earn some money.
- If you’re a gamer, you will find Twitch one of the best online video monetization platforms to be.
- You can earn from doing what you love
- Earn from multiple monetization methods – Twitch ads, affiliate programs, Twitch bits, viewers subscriptions, sponsorship, donations, amazon associates, etc.
Vimeo is an all-in-one solution for hosting, managing and sharing your video content with the world from one single source. It is one of the best alternatives to YouTube that offers content creators the chance to create, host, and sell their knowledge to earn a living.
Vimeo offers you the freedom to take control of your monetization strategy. Instead of relying on an ad-based revenue model like YouTube and Facebook, you can turn your audience into paying members of your tribe and collect recurring revenue.
You can include interactive elements in your video that let your audience take action while watching. This can increase the engagement and conversion rate of your video content and help increase revenue.
Creators can earn from three monetization methods on Vimeo – Subscription, Branded app, and Live events.
You can set up subscription-based content for your audience, or create a branded app that lets you share your video content on any platform and device. You can also set up a pay-per-view for live events like online classes, sporting, business summits, courses, etc. And you can combine all the methods together to maximize your earning potential.
Vimeo Top Features
- Create branded OTT apps that let you share your content on any platform, OS, and device without any coding knowledge.
- Deliver high-quality live streaming in HD, and add branding and graphics to make it even better.
- Add interactive elements to your video and increase its engagement and conversion rate with the Vimeo suite of marketing tools.
- Create a customizable HTML5 video player that brings more beauty to work and content. You can change things like color, and make your content private or password protected.
- Businesses can use Vimeo for team communication like hosting town hall meetings, executive live meetings, employee training, and the onboarding process.
- Starter – $12/mon
- Standard – $35/mon
- Advance – $55/mon
Note: Vimeo offers a 30-day free trial of its services so you can test it before committing.
IGTV is the Instagram video content TV, one of the best video monetization platforms besides YouTube. Instagram is also a Facebook business, so you should expect similar policies and guidelines for content creators.
Creators can earn 55% of ad revenue the same as YouTube, this makes IGTV a good competitor of the YouTube video monetization platform for creators.
Unlike YouTube, IGTV is not available in all countries. Only the US, UK, and Australia are allowed into the program currently. Even at that, your account must have at least 10,000 followers, and 30,000 1-minutes views in the last 60-day.
So, IGTV may not be for everyone out there, but still, a good option if you’re in an eligible country and your Instagram account is qualified for IGTV.
What if your account has decent followers, and a high engagement rate, but you’re not in an eligible country? Well, you can still earn from your IGTV video by leveraging other video monetization methods:
As it is, you can add affiliate links to your IGTV video in the description text. There is no limit to how many links you can add, but I advise you to keep things simple and clean. The maximum character is 2,200.
And like YouTube, you need to let your audience know that there is a link in the description they can click to get more information. People are still learning how IGTV works so don’t assume everyone knows of small things like this.
If you have large followers on Instagram, you can source for brands and companies to work out sponsorship deals with you. Companies are looking for more ways to get their product in front of more eyes, you can help them with promotions.
It’s simple, you just need to create a video that features the company’s product or services. This could be just a mention, an onboarding of the product, I have seen this many times with smartphone users on IGTV.
Promote your Product
You can use IGTV to drive traffic to your eCommerce website for free. As you keep creating engaging and educational content, you build an audience that trusts your recommendation in the process.
Your IGTV is a good medium to send traffic to your landing pages and increase revenue potential.
Creators can earn money from Facebook in-stream and overlay ads if they meet the requirement. Facebook shares a percentage of the advertising revenue with video creators.
But first, you need to check if you’re qualified for the program. From the information gathered on Facebook, creators must have at least 10,000 page followers, have published at least 5 videos, generate 600,000 minutes views in the last 60 days, and have all videos published from their page.
If your page and video meet the qualification requirement, ads are placed during the 1st 1 minutes break of your video, and the user must watch the ads in full for you to earn. With the reach of Facebook, it could be worth giving this a try if you’re creating fun and entertaining video consistently.
The program is not available for all countries at the moment, only a selected number of countries are allowed into the program. You can check here for your country’s eligibility.
Another way to earn from your video content on Facebook is through sponsored messages. You can partner with brands by running a commercial during your video presentation to your audience. But this tactic will only work if you have large followers on your page.
Brands will want to work with you if you have the type of audience in their target demographic. While Facebook’s video monetization program is not the best option out there, it is still a viable tool for getting started with video marketing.
FAQ – Alternative Video Monetization Platforms
How can I monetize my videos?
There are several ways to monetize your video, you can collaborate with affiliate program networks, and run paid sponsorship and partnership deals. If you’re a product creator, you can turn your viewers into a community, sell courses, create membership sites, and offer downloadable products.
Which platform is best for video monetization?
It all depends on a variety of factors. You have to think about your audience's interests, niche, demographic, products, etc. Putting into factor all these metrics will give you the right direction to follow.
Some video monetization platforms are best suited for certain types of audiences and niches. For example, YouTube can be a great place for educational content that is presented in a step-by-step tutorial way. Facebook is good for fun and entertaining short clips.
If you’re selling online courses, you might want to think of other platforms like Thinkific, Mighty Network, and LinkedIn learning.
Is there any money platform like YouTube?
Yes, there are several money platforms like YouTube such as IGTV, Facebook in-stream ads, Twitch, etc. You can try any of these platforms to compare your results and ease of use with YouTube.
Conclusion…Best Video Monetization Platforms
There is no shortage of video monetization platforms you can explore. However, if you’re stuck with YouTube, especially if you’re looking for ways to generate consistent and stable income within your control, you must try some of the options above.
YouTube is a good option, but it takes away your ability to own your audience, determine earning potential, and take absolute control of your business. Other platforms will give you more control over your audience data such as email list, engagement level, etc. This is something you can’t possibly achieve with YouTube marketing.