Everyday on the internet, more and more blogs are being created, the competition or the race for first pages of search engines becomes more and more fierce. Webmasters are increasingly finding ways to learn seo (search engine optimization) and beat their competitors to it – SERP.
But that doesn’t seems to solve the problem, as Google and other search engines giants frequently updating their search algorithm and making it almost difficult to learn seo once and for all.
Therefore, there is the need to keep up-to-dates with industry best practice and follow what is regard as relevancy, acceptable and ethical best practice. But this in itself can be a major task to do, as seen why most big companies with big financial budget hire in-house SEO professionals.
But it doesn’t have to be, even if you don’t have the big financial budget to hire SEO professionals, you can handle your website/blog search engine optimization yourself and still rank higher in SERP for your target search queries.
And in my opinion….unless you’re a large corporation, brand companies, or some sort of team of webmasters that have enough money put together to throw around managing their blogs, you had better learn seo and take the destiny of your blog into your own hand.
Here is a list of resources put together to help you in the process of learning and mastering search engine optimization of your website/blog. The list combine both paid and free materials, blogs, pdf materials and articles to help you stay on-top of today’s SEO best practice.
20 Resources To Learn SEO Step By Step.
1. How Search engine works – The first step towards learning search engine optimization is to discover how search engines like Google and others works. This is a video explaining things in details.
2. Setting Up A Google Friendly Site – This page will help you get started and understand the basics of building a Google friendly website/blog. It covers the fundamental things you’ll need to know about building a search engine friendly blog.
3. SEO Starter Guide By Google – In 2010, Google wrote this 32 page Guide to help webmaster understand more about creating search engine friendly pages and handling the SEO aspect of their blog.
4. SEOMoz Search engine ranking Factor – Every two years, the good guys at Moz run a deep analysis on what makes pages stand out on search engine result pages, what makes them rank better above other pages. You’ll find some interesting fact reading through this page.
5. SEO Moz – Beginners Guide To SEO – Another master piece from the good guys at Moz on search engine optimization for beginners and intermediate webmaster ready to learn SEO from scratch.
A 67 pages seo guide pdf that walk you through the starting line of SEO to more advance, more complex but well detailed instructions on how to learn seo starting from the basic.
6. Google Webmasters Tool – Google webmasters tool still remain one of the best available free resource out there to discover more about your sites healthy condition and all that is happening to it.
It let you collect relevant data that helps you in understanding, discover and making the right decisions on what, where and how to optimize your pages better.
7. Keyword Suggestion Tool – You’ll need a free account to get access to this tool created by SEO Book, it shows the search volume of any giving keyword phrases and present you with some possible suggestions.
8. Majestic SEO – Knowing where your links are coming from is highly important; this tool will let you do that in minutes.
9. Open Site Explorer – Another product created by Moz, this tool will allow you to detect who is linking to you, find links to broken page and even spy on your competitors to see who is linking to them and from where.
It comes both in free and paid version.
10. Broken Links Checker – Not finding and fixing broken links on your site in time could hurt your search engine optimization. This tools will help you breeze through the process of finding and fixing these links in seconds.
Though, if you’re on WordPress, there is a plugin for this also that allow you carry out same task.
11. Spider View Simulator – Sometimes, it become necessary to view your site in the way a web spider will view it, this tool will help you do just that. Especially when you have text buried in other format other than html.
12. Robot.txt Checker – If crawlers can’t find their way around your site freely, it become somehow doubting if your webpage could get index properly. Use this tool to find if your robot.txt file is having error blocking crawlers to craw your site.
13. WebCEO – The free version of webCEO will allow you do many things with your site; from keyword suggestion, checking for duplicate content, 5 search engines submission granted, on-page optimization tips, etc.
Buy you can upgrade your account to access enhance quality service of webCEO if you really want to take your blog SEO to another height.
14. Google Trend – Knowing how popular a keyword is to your target market is highly important in the world of search marketing; this tool would help you do just that.
15. Speed Test – Now that web page loading speed has become an important factor that affect ranking, it become mandatory you check and monitor the loading speed of your webpage. This tool from Google will do.
16. Link Parser – This tool is an extension of Google chrome that let you discover the status of a page no-follow and do-follow external and internal links. This is good if you’re looking for site that have their comment section do-follow and for other reasons you might want to discover such sites.
With this tools installed on your Google Chrome, finding do-follow blogs become a thing of instant discovery. Note – there is link parser for Firefox too.
17. SEO Page Rank Status – Another Google Chrome SEO toolbar extension that lets you discover all that it is to a web page SEO status in minutes without leaving the site or open another tab.
Shows Alexa traffic rank, whois data, back-link analysis, Google PR, GEO location IP, index pages in major search engines including Baidu, Yandex, Bing and many more.
18. Excessive Anchor Text – In recent Google algorithm updates, over optimization of anchor text has become another topic of debates, so this tool will help you highlight those areas where your anchor text links might be at risk.
19. Alexa Toolbar – There are many reasons you might want to install this toolbar:
- For marketing purpose.
- Finding high traffic blogs to advertise your offer.
- See how your blog compete with others.
- Discovering high traffic blogs for successful guest post campaign.
- Knowing when you’re falling back on traffic.
- Measuring your traffic building progress and many more.
20. WordPress SEO By Yoast – There is no way the theory of learning SEO will be complete without a mention of WordPress SEO by Yoast.
In fact, after all said and done, you will have to install this SEO plugin into your WordPress blog to crown all your effort about optimizing your webpages for better search visibility. Yoast has claim authority over this plugin, and it is considered has the best SEO plugin at the moment for any WordPress blog.
Well, in other not to make this list an exhaustive one, I have tried to keep short and simple. But unfortunately, there is plenty left untouched.
Therefore, I would much appreciate it if you can add to this list in the comment box below. And if you find this article informative enough, do me a favor, share it for others to enjoy.How To Learn SEO Step By Step - 20 Resources by Shamsudeen Adeshokan